Archie's Top Energy Saving Tips - Saving you energy to save you money
There are many ways energy can be saved in your home, these include:
- Switching off lights when leaving an empty room could save on average £15 a year on electricity bills.
- Close your curtains to help keep heat in and stop it from escaping through the windows. Ensure the curtains are not draped over any radiators that are underneath your windows.
- Switch off appliances fully where you can and don’t leave them on standby.
- Defrost fridges and freezers regularly to keep them running efficiently and to stop ice building up. Appliances uses more power if they have to work harder.
- Run washing machines on a full load. Using economy setting and running the washing machine at 30 degrees can also use less energy.
- Take a shower instead of having a bath. Showers are usually faster, cheaper and more efficient.
- Turning the thermostat down on your boiler by only 1 degree can save up to £80 a year on the average gas bill.
- Running your heating for an hour less each day will also save energy and still helps to take the chill off enough through the winter.
- Check all your radiators regularly to see if they need bleeding. Radiators that aren’t working to their fullest can make your boiler work harder meaning it will use more fuel.
- Use a washing up bowl to clean your dirty dishes rather than running the water.
- Use energy saving light bulbs. They last up to 10 times longer than ordinary bulbs.
- Make sure your mobile phone chargers are switched off when not in use. These still use energy when they are plugged in, even of they are not in use.
- Use the microwave instead of the oven – It cooks food quicker.
- Don’t hang clothes on your radiators to dry, it makes your boiler work harder than it needs to.
- Insulating your home can save up to £250 a year on heating costs. Insulation will help to retain the heat circulating around your home.
- If you have an old inefficient boiler, look into upgrading this to a newer boiler. This will last longer and work much more efficiently. Call the Arktek office on 0191 5166911 to discuss boiler options available and to arrange a survey with our fully qualified gas engineers.